🔥 Special Launch Offer: Free unlimited listings for Brokers & Franchisors this month.

How do I know if buying an existing business is better than starting from scratch?

How do I know if buying an existing business is better than starting from scratch?

K
Katherine Asked 3 weeks ago (User)
I’m considering buying an existing business instead of starting one from scratch, but I’m not sure which route makes more sense. Buying an existing business seems like it could save some of the early setup work, but I’m also wondering if you inherit problems that you wouldn’t have with a new business. What would you look at before deciding between the two?
👍 0 Likes

1 Answer

I think the biggest thing is looking at what you’re actually getting for the money. An existing business can give you an established customer base, existing cash flow, employees and systems, which can save a lot of the work involved in starting from zero. But you’re also taking on whatever problems the business already has. I’d look closely at the financials, customer base, contracts, leases and why the owner is selling before making a decision. If the numbers and the business itself look solid, buying an existing business can make sense. If you have a strong idea and want complete freedom to build things your own way, starting from scratch may be the better fit.
K Answered by Kevin D | 3 weeks ago
👍 0

Please log in to post an answer.

⚡ Free Founding Listing